TV Romance … I don’t think I’ve ever seen a show without it (even shows devoted to crime scene investigations throw their characters a romantic prospect every once in a while). In fact, I get so wrapped up in my characters’ romANTICS that I can go through the entire spectrum of emotions during one episode of my favorite CW show (I watch a TV show like others watch sporting events: I cheer, I yell, I cry, I throw things). In fact, a old term just came back into the TV lovers’ vernacular: Relationshipping, or known more commonly as ‘Shipping (a ‘shipper is one who ‘ships). Wikipedia defines ‘shipping as “a general term for fans’ emotional involvement with the ongoing development of romance in a work of fiction.” I am a HUGE ‘shipper – every show I watch, I have at least one couple I’m ‘shipping over. So below are some of my favorite romantic moments from the couples I’ve ‘shipped the most.
Ok listen, Summer, it’s not like, like now that me and Anna broke up, I’m now choosing you, ok? Cause the whole reason that we broke up is cause for me, it’s always been you, Summer … it’s always been you. And I’ve tried to fight it and I’ve tried to deny it, and I can’t … I can’t do it. You’re undeniable.
– Seth Cohen to Summer Roberts, The OC Season 1 (current status: a flash forward in the series finale saw these two lovebirds getting married. And I KNOW they’re still together)
You wanna know how many women I’ve slept with over the last 10 years? Hundreds! Maybe more, I don’t know. I barely see their faces. I married Wendy because I was lonely, because I got tired of the endless disconnect. It was just a sad time-out. Because when I’m inside someone, there’s only one face I see. When you came home, it was like some kind of sign to me. Like my past coming around to give me another shot to do this different, better. And now that chance is running back to Chicago.
– Jax Teller to Tara Knowles, Sons of Anarchy Season 1 (current status: married with two kids as of Season 5)
Jo, you can’t say something like that to me and expect me not to kiss you. So that’s exactly what I want to do. I’m gonna kiss you in about 10 seconds. And if you don’t want me to kiss you … well, if you don’t want me to, I guess then you’re just gonna have to stop me.
– Pacey Whitter to Joey Potter, Dawson’s Creek Season 3 (current status: ended up together in the series finale, will be together forever, end of story)
Okay, here it is: your choice. It’s simple … her or me. And I’m sure she is really great. But Derek, I love you, in a really, really big pretend-to-like-your-taste-in-music, let-you-eat-the-last-piece-of-cheesecake, hold-a-radio-over-my-head-outside-your-window, unfortunate way that makes me hate you, love you. So pick me, choose me, love me.
– Meredith Grey to Derek Sheperd, Grey’s Anatomy Season 2 (current status: happily married with one child as of Season 9)
…What I’m about to say is probably the most selfish thing that I’ve ever said in my life. I just have to say it once. You just need to hear it. I love you, Elena. And it’s because I love you that I can’t be selfish with you, why you can’t know this. I don’t deserve you, but my brother does. God, I wish that you didn’t have to forget this, but you do. [compels Elena to forget the conversation. When she lifts from her fog, he is gone]
– Damon Salvatore to Elena Gilbert, The Vampire Diaries Season 2 (current status: Elena just broke up with Damon’s brother, Stefan, in the latest Season 4 episode. A new episode airs tomorrow and it might be the start of “Delena!”)
Look, I don’t talk a lot about stuff and I really don’t trust people. But I trust you … and I wanna make it, this, work. No matter what. And if we ever get down from here, maybe we can talk about it.
– Ryan Atwood to Marissa Cooper, The OC Season 1 (current status: the writers killed off Marissa in the Season 3 finale. I’m still not over it)
Logan: I thought our story was epic, you know, you and me.
Veronica: Epic how?
Logan: Spanning years and continents. Lives ruined, bloodshed … epic. But summer’s almost here and we won’t see each other at all. And then you leave town… and then it’s over.
Logan: I’m sorry about last summer. You know, if I could do it over…
Veronica: Come on. Ruined lives? Bloodshed? You really think a relationship should be that hard?
Logan: No one writes songs about the ones that come easy.
– Veronica Mars and Logan Echolls, Veronica Mars Season 2 (current status: the untimely, unfounded and unjust cancellation of the show in Season 3 left viewers with a romantic cliffhanger. But I imagine Logan and Veronica are together, because that’s how it should be).